Friday, March 29, 2013

Kitchen Glamour - Coconut Oil.

Coconut oil doesn't seem to that popular in the UK but I would not want to be without it in my kitchen/ bathroom cupboard. You can use this for both cooking and beauty, it is delicious on crumpets and you can even fry chips with it (I have never tried this but it does sound super yummy). I mainly use coconut oil for beauty bits and bobs though...  


I have found coconut oil invaluable when it comes to keeping my hair in good condition. It may not come as a surprise to you that my hair is not naturally bright red. I pre-lighten the roots then dye it red, so I find that I constantly battle with split ends and dry hair. You can  use coconut oil as a deep conditioner by melting it (you can do this by putting it into a cup, in a bowl of hot water) then smothering you hair with it and leave it in for 20 mins. It is best to wrap your hair in a warm towel because this helps your hair to soak in all the goodness. Then wash out, shampoo it first before you wet your hair because of the simple science that oil repels water. I'm not too keen on doing this though, I'm not always patient enough to wait and then to wash it out properly. The lazy way is to wash your hair as normal, towel dry then melt a little bit in your hands (about the size of of a 5p coin), make sure your hands are really oily then just scrunch it into your hair, especially the ends. You really don't want to put too much on because it will make your hair look greasy! You can then either let your hair air dry or blow dry it, I have found both works well. Doing this every time I wash my hair has really made a difference to the condition of it, which has meant the colour stays more vibrant longer and when I re-dye it it looks even redder. 

I also use coconut oil as make up remover. I used to use sensitive skin make up wipes but I found that they would flare up my eczema around my eyes and make them really puffy. So I started to use coconut oil instead. I melt a bit in my hands then I massage it around my eyes and wipe with cotton wool pads, then I rub the rest around my face. I wet my face with some water then just wipe my whole face with another cotton wool pad. Whatever oil is left on my face I leave there overnight and it is absorbed in the morning. It leaves my skin in wonderful condition and you don't have to worry about what chemicals are in your make up remover either. If I have a spot coming I dab a little extra on it at night and I find after a couple of days it will have disappeared (hopefully). It is also fabulous for any dry skin on the body and pesky dry cuticles, I just rub some around any problem areas at night and by the morning there is a great improvement. 

The last way I use it is to oil pull. I will probably do a whole post on oil pulling at a later date because it is a pretty amazing process that I only recently found out about. Basically you swoosh this in your mouth for 15-20mins twice a day and the oil pulls the bacteria from your mouth which means that your immune system is freed up to fight illness etc. 

The pot pictured above cost me under £10 from Amazon and it has lasted me 6months to a year. So it has probably saved me money for all the things I have replaced with it. 

I hope you found this helpful and I hope you have some rather lovely plans for the bank holiday weekend. Ed and I are going to a spa this evening for a bit of R&R.

xkx

No comments:

Post a Comment