Monday, August 13, 2012

Audio Book Review - Fifty Shades of Grey.

There are no spoilers in this review and no references to any naughtiness, so you are safe to read this if you are having your dinner.


Okay so I have to admit, I totally jumped on the bandwagon with this one. I wasn't going to give in and read it but when my Audible credits came through I found my mouse finger betraying me! This is a very adult book so it is not to be read by those with a delicate disposition or in fact anyone who enjoys a well written, saucy story. I only gave this book 1/2 star out of 5. The half star is for the little glint of interest I had in the exploration of a flawed relationship, but it got smothered by the author's need to pack as many adult scenes in this book as possible.  

I'm not sure even where to start with this book, I had read reviews that said how badly written it was and they certainly weren't lying. The language is bland and unimaginative, the author seems to use the same words and phrases over and over again. This made it difficult for me to really connect my senses to the book and it certainly didn't help me to connect to Mr Grey. Now there has certainly been a lot of hype about Mr Grey and how alluring he is, I was kind of excited about this prospect because in my books I love a troubled man. Heathcliff out of Wuthering Heights has to be my all time favourite swoon-some character. But what I found reading over Mr Grey was a man who liked to control, stalk and own his woman. And part of me wondered what Ana would have thought of Mr Grey if he had not been a millionaire and was just a weird guy living in a run down, rented apartment with a garage filled with strange apparatus and no designer underwear to his name.   

I found this book so disappointing and depressing. I don't find it attractive to read a girl telling her boyfriend to not hit her and him forcing his choice of contraception onto her. There are basic rights that a woman should have! But many women have completely fallen for these books so maybe it just isn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment