Monday, October 21, 2013

The Day I Met Neil Gaiman.

A few months ago I met Neil Gaiman *Eeekkk*! There are very few people who I would ever get star stuck over, and even fewer who I would make the effort to go and meet, but Neil Gaiman has to be top of the list for me. 

I have loved Neil Gaiman's work since my early to mid teens, it all started when I stumbled across his Death the High Cost of Living graphic novel. I was deeply rooted in my Goth era then and I just thought Death was the coolest character ever, I even started to wear an Ankh because of her, which I still do today. One summer when I went to London with my friend, we were waiting to go on a Jack the Ripper tour when an American tourist came up to me and said ''You read Sandman don't you, you look just like Death''. That was and still is one of the most awesome compliments I have ever had in my life (I realise this is maybe a little weird). 

I soon meandered to American Gods, this book is probably my favourite in all the world. If I could only read one more book it would be this one. I am a massive sucker for mythology and folklore, especially of the Norse schism so it just pulled me in and kept me there. The story and characters are intoxicating and it provided me with some much needed escapism. 

Then there was Neverwhere. I was going through a difficult time in my life, I was living away from my parents, I wasn't particularly happy and I felt utterly lost. This book gave me a world that I could envelop myself with and somehow it gave me hope that better things were out there within my grasp.   



So looking back Neil Gaiman's work has been an inspiration, a comfort and kindling for my imagination. It was an amazing evening to go to Ely cathedral and sit watching the occasional bat flitting around whilst listening to him answering questions and read from his books. We were told that we were allowed to take one book and one other thing that we loved most in the world. I was lucky because Ed didn't mind getting The Ocean and the End of the Lane and Neverwhere signed for me whilst I got American Gods and a photograph of Doris. 

This was a totally magical evening for me and one that I will never forget. 

much love
Kirst

No comments:

Post a Comment